Doctor Who: Deep Breath
August 24, 2014 6:30 AM - Season 8, Episode 1 - Subscribe
In Victorian London, the Paternoster Gang, comprising of Silurian Madame Vastra, her human maid and wife Jenny, and Sontaran butler Strax, are summoned by the police force when a dinosaur suddenly materialises outside the Houses of Parliament. Vastra observes that the dinosaur has something stuck in its throat, and moments later it spits out the TARDIS onto the banks of the Thames.
- The story's premier broadcast date, 23 August, is the same date as the in-universe setting of The Fires of Pompeii, in which Peter Capaldi made his first appearance in Doctor Who as Lobus Caecilius.
- This episode saw the debut of a new title sequence designed by Billy Hanshaw after executive producer Steven Moffat saw a video of his conceptual Doctor Who titles sequence on YouTube and decided to draft him aboard to do a professional version of his sequence.
- When Clara sees the improved console room, she says, "You've redecorated... I don't like it." This was said verbatim by both the Second and Tenth Doctors at the sight of new TARDIS console designs. (The Three Doctors, The Day of the Doctor) The Second and Eleventh Doctors have also said this about redecorated houses. (The Five Doctors, Closing Time)
- The Doctor states that he is over 2,000 years old. He once said he was over 1,200 years old ( A Town Called Mercy). After adding the 900 years he spent in the Siege of Trenzalore to the aforementioned 1,200 or so, (The Time of the Doctor), his age increases past 2,000.
- After seeing new Doctor, Madame Vastra says "Well then, Here we go again.", just like the Brigadier did. (Planet of the Spiders)