Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: PACE Loans Season 8, Ep 16
Another entry from the void. Biden holds a summit with that notorious jokester, Vladimir Putin. Japan is set to host the Olympics in 2021, making up for their not being held in 2020, but still against the advice of many considering their vaccination rate is just 6%. Shown is a Japanese condom commercial with an anime styling. And Now: Please Enjoy Some Better Names For The Dogs From This Year's Westminster Dog Show. Main Story (22m): PACE loans, intended as a way for people to cheaply renovate houses for energy savings, are sometimes handed out by predatory contractors to people unaware of their costs and consequences, resulting in them losing their homes. And Now: The Winner Of Best In Show At The Westminster Dog Show Breaks Newscasters' Brains. [more inside]
Warrior: Chinese Boxing Season 1, Ep 9
Chinatown gathers to witness a "prize fight" between elite warriors from the Hop Wei and Long Zii. Buckley and Mercer discuss wages, while Bill and Lee question Wang Chao about the recent series of sword killings in San Francisco. "Sometime white people kill white people, no?" [more inside]
Shrink: Season 1 Season 1, Ep 0
Like most med school grads, David Tracey expected to roll straight into a residency, earn his license to practice medicine and begin paying off his massive student loans. But when his hospital position falls through, David devises a scheme to start offering free psychotherapy - out of his parents' garage. Now, all he needs to do is clock the 1,920 clinical hours required and he'll get his life back on track. But when a ragtag stream of oddball clients begins coming to him for help, he starts to realize something about himself. He may have just found a new career that makes him feel right at home. [more inside]
- Trump and his businesses, it turns out, have been involved in over 3,500 lawsuits over three decades. LWT focuses on those concerning Trump University. YouTube: Part 1 (4m) and Part 2 (9m)
- And Now: Wolf Blitzer States the Obvious
- Main story: Debt, how Americans are in it (to the tune of $12 trillion dollars), how they get in it (often unavoidable medical reasons), how debt buying has become an industry to itself, and how it operates (predictably, badly) To demonstrate how easy it is to organize as debt buyers and buy debt, LWT organized as debt buyers in Mississippi, set up an EXTREMELY bare bones website, bought $15M of medical debt, the debt of 9,000 Texas people, and forgave it. The cost to them was a mere $60K, but it was technically the largest televised giveaway in history, beating out Oprah Winfrey's famous car giveaway. Oliver: "It is done! It is done! I am the new queen of daytime talk!" YouTube (21m)
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Puerto Rico Season 3, Ep 10
- Obama visits Saudi Arabia, but is snubbed when he's greeted at the airport by a governor, not the king.
- Obama visits the UK, and is met by the Queen, driven by a 94-year-old prince, and his hand shaken by the adorable child Prince George.
- Norway reacts to Syrian migrants by tightening the borders.
- And Now: Everyone Likes Mispronouncing "Target"
- Main story: Puerto Rico (21m), and it's $70 billion debt crisis.
- Hamilton creator Lin-Manuel Miranda sings in behalf of his native Puerto Rico.
The Knick: The Golden Lotus Season 1, Ep 9
Thackery does lots of coke. Everett prescribes an emetic to someone with an eating disorder. Barrow gets salt water from his loan shark instead of cocaine. Disregarding the evidence in front of his nose, Bertie hits on Nurse Elkins and she gaslights him. Bertie also refuses to admit that Thackery is a hop-head. There is one patient in The Knick who doesn't care that Dr. Edwards is black. Finally, we learn that 'golden lotus' means foot not a portion of a woman's nether regions. [more inside]