Here’s your discussion thread for today’s Super Bowl! (Los Angeles Rams vs New England Patriots)
Come get your football, and your ads, your halftime show, and your nachos or beer brats in here -- the Eagles and the Pats play in Minneapolis.
The NFL Today: AFC/NFC Championship Games Season 44, Ep 1
Jaguaras/Patriots & Vikings/Eagles [more inside]
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Corporate Consolidation Season 4, Ep 24
- Donald Trump criticizes NFL players for taking the knee during the National Anthem to protest the treatment of black people by police in the US, because there is no issue of which he won't take the wrong side.
- A couple of Trump administration officials came under fire for their use of costly private jet flights. Tom Price reportedly made 24 such flights at a combined cost to US taxpayers of $400,000. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, worth $300 million, made a request (later withdrawn) to use a government jet, along the way being snide to the entire state of Kentucky.
- And Now: A Preview of Megyn Kelly's New Morning Show. (Quote from Megyn Kelly saying she hopes her show can be a "unifying force.")
- And Now: A Look At The "Unifying Force" That Is Megyn Kelly. (A quick selection of clips of her time at Fox News being anything but.)
- Main Story: Corporate consolidation. As we're reminded by clips from 34 politicians, "small businesses are the backbone of our economy." Despite rhetoric, the rate at which small businesses have been created has been falling since the 1970s, perhaps because large businesses have been getting larger and larger. YouTube (15m)
- And Now: All of Jim Cramer's Sound Buttons, Replaced With Fart Noises
- Finally, part two of the tale of the unreasonably large train set Last Week Tonight made for Scranton, PA channel WNEP's backyard train set. The station refused LWT's gift because it was just too dang big. (They had suspected it might be, but figured it'd just be more fun to build the thing anyway.) The train didn't go to waste however; it now lives in the Lackawanna County Electric City Trolley Station & Museum.
Superbowl LI kicks off at 6:30 Eastern/3:30 Pacific, on FOX. Pre-pregame starts at 11 a.m. ET; official pregame at 2 p.m. ET. NFL. FOX. Relive Prince's half-time show from 10 years ago and ponder whether Lady Gaga can live up to it. [more inside]
The NFL Today: Week 3 Season 49, Ep 3
Week 3 was kicked off with a 27-0 win by the Brady-less Patriots over the recently Brock'd Texans. [more inside]
The NFL Today: Week 1 Season 49, Ep 1
The 2016 NFL season, the 97th season in the history of the National Football League (NFL), began on Thursday, September 8, 2016, with the defending Super Bowl 50 champion Denver Broncos defeating the Carolina Panthers 21–20 in the NFL Kickoff Game. The season will conclude with Super Bowl LI, the league's championship game, on Sunday, February 5, 2017, at NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas. [more inside]
Accomplished Pittsburgh pathologist Dr. Bennet Omalu (Will Smith) uncovers the truth about brain damage in football players who suffer repeated concussions in the course of normal play. [more inside]
The NFL Today: NFL Week 6 Season 48, Ep 6
The Falcons aren't un-defeated anymore, but will the Packers, Carolina, the Patriots and more maintain their loss-less record?
The NFL Today: NFL Week 5 Season 48, Ep 5
The Falcons, Packers, Bengals and Patriots all try to keep their undefeated streaks alive in Week 5.
The NFL Today: NFL Week 3 Season 48, Ep 3
Week 3 big games: Chiefs at Packers in a throwback to the first Super Bowl, Steelers at the Rams, and the Bills at the Dolphins. [more inside]
The NFL Today: NFL Week 2 Season 48, Ep 2
First try for Fanfare football fun. Week 2 big games: KC-Denver, Seattle-GB, and NE-Buffalo [more inside]
The most popular sport in the US is savage, creative, brutal & balletic. Love it or loathe it, it's a touchstone of the American identity. [more inside]
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Scottish Independence, Corporations Misuse Twitter Season 1, Ep 17
The NFL is embroiled in controversy for their handling of player Ray Rice's assault on his wife. ISIS prompts yet another American military intervention in Iraq (2m). Olive Garden comes under fire from activist hedge fund for poor practices, including not using salt to boil pasta water to prolong pot life. Scotland votes on independence from the United Kingdom (15m). Newscasters misidentify photographs as selfies. A record of companies misappropriating Twitter hashtags and memes to try to look important and socially-conscious, featuring the hashtag #WeUnderstandThatAsCorporateEntitiesOurPresenceInCertainDiscussionsIsNotAlwaysRequiredSoWeWillStriveToLimitOurActivitiesToJustSellingyouShit.
The League: Sitting Shiva Season 6, Ep 1
The League returns with Jenny on top, Kevin below and Andre throwing shade. Slate does not approve but EW in their full recap mostly does. [more inside]