All events are welcome here. Eventually we might have separate threads for different events but for now, bring all your sports chatter in here, from skiing to skating to curling!
Hop in here for discussion of the Opening Ceremonies, which will be streamed live as they happen in just a few hours, and will also be shown on delay during US Friday evening primetime. [more inside]
The Winter Olympics are starting, are we going to do FanFare threads again? It looks like for the Rio ones we had separate threads for the Ceremonies, and then others by sport category?
When Bryan Fogel sets out to uncover the truth about doping in sports, a chance meeting with a Russian scientist transforms his story from a personal experiment into a geopolitical thriller... [more inside]
A foul-mouthed former gymnastics bronze medalist with local celebrity status reluctantly trains a rising Olympics aspirant.
Want to chatter about the 2016 Paralympic Games in Rio? Here's your spot on FanFare for it. [more inside]
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Charter Schools Season 3, Ep 22
- US Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte (4m) and others trashed a men's restroom, and Lochte flees to us while his collegues are detained.
- Main story: The downsides of many charter schools (18m): poor planning, profit seeking and corruption.
- And Now: One Final Second of Olympic Swimmer Ryan Lochte The Perfectly Encapsulates His Entire Personality, Career and Worldview.
- Finally, LWT tonight noticed surprising parallels between the campaign of Donald Trump and the book "The Kid Who Ran For President." Part 1 (5m) - Part 2 (5m)
That's a wrap!
Give me your tracks, your fields, your hurdled masses yearning to etc. If it's Track-and-Fieldy, this is the place to be.
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Journalism Season 3, Ep 20
- A recap of the Olympic opening ceremonies. Part 1 - Part 2 (both 4m)
- And Now: Newscasters Perv Out Over a Shirtless Olympian in National Dress
- Main Story: Journalists (19m), and the increasing difficulty that news outlets have staying in business while not compromising their work. With a special guest appearance by Tronc (MeFi)! Finishes with a trailer for "Stoplight," a depressingly realistic take on the plight of a reporter in the 21st century.
Hay is for "HEY HERE'S THE HORSE STUFF"!
Jump in here, for all your swimming and diving discussion needs.
2016 Summer Olympics volleyball discussion, we haz it!
Gymnastics, men's and women's, at the Olympics - that's what we're discussing in here.
There's a lot of sports events happening at the 2016 Rio Olympics. This is a thread for talking about any and all of 'em, but particularly those that don't have their own dedicated thread.
It's the opening ceremony for the Rio 2016 Olympics!
- The UK votes to leave the European Union, and in the wake David Cameron resigns as Prime Minister of the UK. YouTube (5m)
- And Now: The Things News Anchors Are Scared Of
- Main Story: Doping in the Olympics, and its creeping ubiquity. LWT provides an inspirational athlete bio that may be more realistic than the usual uplifting sports story. YouTube (21m)
I'd like to consider having Fanfare threads for major sporting events like the World Cup, Olympics, Super Bowl, NBA Finals, etc. [more inside]
Listeners, thank you so much for contributing your attention, questions and eartime to us this year. What a year it has been! Relisten to the highlights – and lowlights, including such annual delights as the Parade of Melancholy Calls and the blooper reel – in The Best of Answer Me This! 2014. [more inside]
This week: Hong Kong protests China's increasingly intrusive control. A roundup of silly candidates for Brazil's upcoming mandatory election. Norway drops out of the running for the 2022 Winter Olympics due to excessive IOC demands, leaving China and Kazakhstan as the sole remaining candidates. How Is This Still A Thing: Columbus Day. Main story: police abuse of civil forfeiture (16m MeFi). Special guest: Jeff Goldblum. Jell Goldblum outtake clips (1m).