Beforeigners: Season 1 Season 1, Ep 0
The series takes place in Oslo, where suddenly there are several flashes of light in the sea in Bjørvika. The flashes of light turn out to be a worldwide phenomenon where people from the past suddenly emerge in the present - people from the Stone Age, the Viking Age and the 19th century. Fast forward to five years later, and the so-called "beforeigners" are struggling to integrate into modern Norwegian society. (HBO Nordic) [more inside]
Vikings: Death and the Serpent Season 6, Ep 6
"Bjorn is forced to act quickly in the aftermath of the election for the King of all Norway. The bandits attack Lagertha's village again, confident of victory. But when the defense boils down to single combat with Lagertha, victory for the bandits looks less certain. Back in Kattegat, haunted and paranoid, Hvitserk continues to unravel."
Home for Christmas: Season 1 - all episodes Season 1, Ep 0
After lying to her nosy family about having a boyfriend, Johanne sets out to find the real thing in time to introduce him at Christmas. (Netflix Original, Norwegian production, 6x30mins) [more inside]
A young woman confronting her fears and finding home in the North. Blair Braverman fell in love with the North at an early age: By the time she was nineteen, she had left her home in California, moved to Norway to learn how to drive sled dogs, and worked as a tour guide on a glacier in Alaska.
Doctor Who: It Takes You Away Season 11, Ep 9
"On the edge of a Norwegian fjord, in the present day, The Doctor, Ryan, Graham and Yaz discover a boarded-up cottage and a girl named Hanne in need of their help. What has happened here? What monster lurks in the woods around the cottage - and beyond?"
Norsemen: Seasons 1 & 2, It's good to be the chieftain? Season 1, Ep 0
Waiting for the return of Game of Thrones? Missing the awkward comedy of The Office? Check out Norsemen on Netflix! [more inside]
This is a 2018 American thriller film about the 2011 Norway attacks and its aftermath. 22 July was the date of the events, where lone wolf terrorist Anders Behring Breivik killed 77. Directed by Paul Greengrass. It features a Norwegian cast (that unfortunately speaks English in a quasi-Scandinavian accent).
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Mexican Elections Season 5, Ep 16
Last week (at one remove)....
- Trump reacts to outrage over his policy to separate the children of illegal migrants to the US from their parents, first by insisting he couldn't change it, then when the outcry became too great, changing it. Because he LIES.
- 7-11 courts controversy in Norway by advertising condoms on television and in train stations there a defense against chlamydia, which has especially high incidence rates there. The spots called Norway the "Land of Chlamydia."
- And Now: Local News Is Concerned About Teens
- Main story: Mexico, and their upcoming (well, yesteray's) elections, the largest in that nation's history. The approval ratings of their current President, Enrique Peña Nieto, went down to 12% from public anger over corruption. The show looks at a number of competitors for the top job, and their issues, sometimes considerable ones. The main story can be watched on YouTube (20m).
- And Now: Kathie Lee and Hoda Are Slowly Becoming One.
Headhunters (Hodejegerne), a fantastic action thriller film, based on the 2008 novel of the same name by Norwegian Jo Nesbø. Aksel Hennie portrays the successful but insecure corporate recruiter Roger Brown who lives a double life as an art thief to fund his lavish lifestyle. He finds out that one of his job prospects is in possession of a valuable painting and sets out to steal it. [more inside]
The 2017 Eurovision Song Contest Grand Final begins Saturday! May 13th! at 2100 CEST / 3:00pm Eastern! with results announced usually between 6-630pm Eastern! Can you tell I am excite! Most of the world can watch via the main Eurovision YouTube channel. Fans located in the US can tune their TVs to LOGO or computing devices to LogoTV.com, where the show will be co-hosted by Ross Mathews and Michelle Visage of "Rupaul's Drag Race" fame. Other options for following the action include accessing the main Eurovision stream on YouTube using a VPN, or using the delightfully Swedish feed from SVT (co-hosted, although probably in Swedish, by 2015 winner Måns Zelmerlöw). [more inside]
Semifinal 2 of the 2017 contest begins Thursday, May 11th, at 2100 CEST / 3:00pm Eastern, with results announced ~2 hours later. Most of the world can watch via the main Eurovision YouTube channel. Fans located in the US, Canada, and Brazil have to deal with geoblocking. Use a VPN with endpoints outside the US to access the stream on YouTube, or use the delightfully Swedish feed from SVT. [more inside]
Occupied: Okkupert - Season 1 Season 1, Ep 0
A decision to shut off Norway's oil/gas production by the ruling environmental party sets off a slow-motion invasion and occupation of Norway by Russia, condoned by the EU and unopposed by the U.S. A show so . . . plausible the Russian Foreign Ministry issued a statement in protest. [more inside]
It's time for the next round of the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest! Semifinal 2 begins at 2100 CET / 3pm Eastern / 12pm Pacific. As before, the live stream will be available via the Eurovision website. Viewers located outside the US can also watch via YouTube. Thanks to LOGO TV's contract to broadcast Saturday's Grand Final, the semifinal rounds are not available to viewers in the US via YouTube, and the Eurovision.tv stream is relatively low quality. One freely available (no VPNs necessary!) and high-quality source is the Swedish broadcaster, SVT. This is probably the correct link for today's stream. In case it's not, check the SVT Play home page. [more inside]
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Puerto Rico Season 3, Ep 10
- Obama visits Saudi Arabia, but is snubbed when he's greeted at the airport by a governor, not the king.
- Obama visits the UK, and is met by the Queen, driven by a 94-year-old prince, and his hand shaken by the adorable child Prince George.
- Norway reacts to Syrian migrants by tightening the borders.
- And Now: Everyone Likes Mispronouncing "Target"
- Main story: Puerto Rico (21m), and it's $70 billion debt crisis.
- Hamilton creator Lin-Manuel Miranda sings in behalf of his native Puerto Rico.
This week: Hong Kong protests China's increasingly intrusive control. A roundup of silly candidates for Brazil's upcoming mandatory election. Norway drops out of the running for the 2022 Winter Olympics due to excessive IOC demands, leaving China and Kazakhstan as the sole remaining candidates. How Is This Still A Thing: Columbus Day. Main story: police abuse of civil forfeiture (16m MeFi). Special guest: Jeff Goldblum. Jell Goldblum outtake clips (1m).